Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Foster's Long Unit

1) One point that Thomas Foster made was that literature is open to interpretation and he also mentions symbolism quite frequently. He says that symbols (unless they are an allegory) are never meant to only represent one specific thing. That they differ from person to person based on personal experiences and how much knowledge the reader has on a specific subject.

2) We should have learned the main ideas from reading the text. However I feel that most of the knowledge about the main points of the book was gained from in-class discussion. Also the learn-it/teach-it/review-it assignment was a good way of learning the main points of Foster's book.

3) I feel the class discussions went well because students conversing with the teacher about a topic almost always go well. As long as the students grasp a better understanding of the topic at hand, then the lesson is always successful and I believe, in our discussions at least, that my class mates and I grasped a better understanding of Foster's book.

4) Unemployed people need work. Mr. Kain's lessons do not.

5) Next time, I think reading the book in order would make more sense to me. It's just in the cases where he mentions something from a previous chapter (that we haven't read yet) and I don't fully understand it.

6) At first, I was skeptical of Foster saying that almost all literature fits into a mold, but after reading more of his book, it makes more sense to me. I think Foster is an intelligent man with a bit of wisdom about literature to share with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment